Bill Pearl is a legendary bodybuilder: Mr. California, Mr. America and 4-time Mr. Universe. A unique thing about Bill is his ability to communicate what he has learned in 50-plus years of weight training to not only top athletes, but to the average person. In a story similar to Bob and Jean Anderson's and their first version of Stretching, Bill and his wife Judy published a massive book on bodybuilding in 1982, Keys to the Inner Universe, a 638-page compendium of bodybuilding exercises, with 1500 exercises and over 3000 drawings. It is used extensively by professional athletes, trainers and serious bodybuilders and has sold over 60,000 copies.
Seeing the need for a simpler book, Bill and Shelter published Getting Stronger: Weight Training for Men and Women in 1986. Since then it has sold over 350,000 copies in the U.S and has been translated into four other languages, including Chinese.
In 2001 Getting Stronger was revised. Although the general principles of weight training are unchanged, there has been a flood of new information on scientific sports training, nutrition for bodybuilders, and workout equipment since 1986. There is updated information on these subjects, as well as on weight training for women and on rehabilitation of injuries. There is a new section on Hammer Strength training (for older people), a complete new chapter on nutrition, nutritional supplementation (glucosamine, creatine, DHEA, etc.), and the latest information on exercise physiology. There is also a new chapter on drugs their effects and dangers including anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, and other ergogenic substances.
In 2005, we celebrated 20 years of being the best weight training book ever by giving the book a brand new cover. Getting Stronger is now up-to-date and ready for another half million readers.
Here is a list of weight training resources, including the above two books:
- Getting Stronger: Weight Training for Sports by Bill Pearl
- Eight photos of Bill Pearl at different times in his career.
- Weight Training Cards . Bill Pearl has produced over 100 different workout routines, for a great variety of sports, for the many different types of equipment
- About the author: the Bill Pearl Story
- World-famous bodybuilder Bill Pearls website: Bills list of weight-training books, posters, and over 100 weight-training workout cards. Also, workout programs from various books.
- There is a ton of weightlifting info on the web. Type in "weight lifting" in your favorite search engine.
- Listen to Your Pain by Ben E. Benjamin, Ph.D. Not a Shelter Book, but our favorite for self-diagnosis and treatment of athletic injuries. Penguin Books, NY, 1984.
For a color catalog of our books and mail-order info,
email email@example.com or call toll-free at 1-800-307-0131.